Dr. Pradeep Chowbey throughout his career has believed in introducing the latest and the best practices both in the field of Bariatric and Minimal Access Surgery and in the social sphere. He has introduced numerous initiatives that with time flourished to create considerable demarcation in their respective fields.
Some of the initiatives taken by Dr. Chowbey in the field of Bariatric, Minimal Access Surgery and in the field of general surgery are mentioned below.
- Enlighten: A support group for diabetic and obese patient initiated in coordination with Delhi Daredevil Team.
- Dr. Chowbey with the core-group of experts from all over the country, formulated guidelines and recommendations for Minimal Access Surgery, Endoscopic hernia surgery and obesity in India.
- Initiated the summit on Metabolic & Obesity (MOS) Guidelines, India (consensus recommendation and guidelines in relation to overweight, obesity, diabetes, metabolic syndrome and risk associated with these conditions for Indians).
- Dr. Chowbey’s efforts fructified with The Division of Minimally Invasive Proctology (MIP), First Division in Asia-Pacific region that was launched on 25th June 2011 under Max Institute of Minimal Access, Metabolic & Bariatric (Obesity) Surgery at Max Super Speciality Hospital.
- Dr. Chowbey was one of the surgeons to recognize and acknowledge the increasing prevalence of obesity in India. With his characteristic determination, he pursued the surgical treatment (Bariatric (Obesity) Surgery) of patients of morbid obesity.
- Dr. Chowbey established the Minimal Access, Metabolic & Bariatric (Obesity) Surgery Centre, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi in 1996, which became the first of its kind in the Asian subcontinent under his Chairmanship.
- Initiated and formulated Consensus Guidelines for Endohernia Surgery
- Took initiative to materialize First Asia Pacific Workshop & Symposium on Spider Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Deployed the “First Intraoperative Telementoring Robot (InTouch Health’s VisitOR1)”technology in India (first site outside the United States).
Dr. Praddep Chowbey has tried to expand the expanse of knowledge base in the field of Bariatric and Minimal Access Surgery. In the process, he developed his passion for teaching. For Dr. pradeep Chowbey, teaching as a passion is way to reach out to fresh talents who can bring in new and better innovations in the field of Bariatric and Minimal Access Surgery. Some of his teaching initiatives are as follows.
- Authored a text book – “Endoscopic Repair of Abdominal Wall Hernias”
- In 1996, he established the Department of Minimal Access Surgery at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, the first of its kind in the Asian subcontinent. The department attracts visiting surgeons from all over the world and has already introduced & trained more than 2000 surgeons to the art of Laparoscopic Surgery.
- The National Board of Examinations has nominated Dr. Chowbey as the Convenor for conferring a Post Doctoral Fellowship in Minimal Access Surgery from 2001.
- Dr. Chowbey has been designated as a teaching faculty – expert panel at number of prestigious national and national institutions for the live surgical workshops.
- Continuing with his passion to educate and train increasing number of young doctors in the art of Minimal Access Surgery. He has conducted over 250 workshops all over the country and abroad to popularize the concept of Minimal Access Surgery.