Top 6 Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric surgery or weight loss surgery is an option for the obese individuals which is often ignored or dismissed. This option helps heavy people lose a lot of weight, which not only helps them feel fit but also reduces the risk of many diseases associated with obesity.
As recommended by the best bariatric surgeon in India, the people who fall under the eligibility criteria for getting a bariatric surgery done are those with a body mass index of 40 or above and also those who have a body mass index of 35 and are suffering from other medical conditions such as hypertension, sleep apnea, diabetes or acid reflux.
Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
Apart from giving a tremendous result in weight loss, bariatric surgery proves to be beneficial in various other conditions.
1. Improves the quality of life: Obesity impairs the quality of life because of certain physical limitations, fatigue, body pain, and associated medical conditions. It is true that an overweight person faces stigma at the workplace and with the peers. It also affects their relationship at home. Bariatric surgery is successful in the marked reduction of weight. It improves the energy levels, gives confidence, and improves self-esteem and self-worth.
Obese patients who undergo bariatric surgery not only live longer but also live a much better life says a surgeon performing bariatric surgery in India.
2. Controls blood sugar levels: Obesity is a major risk factor for diabetes mellitus and more than 90% of people with type 2 diabetes are obese. As the body fat increases the chances of developing type 2 diabetes also increase.
Diabetes is a metabolic condition, and obesity impairs metabolism, which is corrected after the patient loses weight. Improvement in metabolism is seen most often after a week of the surgery.
Weight loss surgery helps in reducing weight, improving metabolism and also controlling the blood sugar levels.
3. Reduces joint pain and osteoarthritis: Excess weight puts pressure on joints and increases the chances of joint pains and damage. Along with weight the risk of developing osteoarthritis also increases.
Various studies demonstrate that bariatric surgery helps to reduce the knee OA pain to a great extent. A marked improvement in back pain is also observed after the surgery.
4. Improves cardiovascular health: Obesity leads to the serious health issues including hypertension. Blood pressure and cholesterol levels can return to normal after the surgery. This reduces the risk of stroke, coronary heart disease, and peripheral artery disease.
5. Reduces obstructive sleep apnea: Obesity increases the risk of sleep apnea in both females and males.The usage of CPAP machine reduces to a great extent after the patient has undergone the weight loss surgery.
6. Improves fertility: Obesity makes it difficulty in conceiving due to the associated medical conditions such as PCOS and other hormonal disturbances. Bariatric surgery improves fertility during childbearing years.
Bariatric surgery is certainly a powerful tool to give sustained relief to the overweight people. It enhances weight loss in people who have not achieved success even after different weight loss attempts. There are various options to choose from and your bariatric surgeon can help you chose the best.