What are Gallbladder Stones?
Gallstones also known as gall bladder stones are basically chunks of some solid material that accumulates within the gall bladder. They mainly develop due to high cholesterol levels or due to pigments present in bile. They are mainly of two types:
- Cholesterol stones are mostly green-yellow in color and larger in size and the most common among patients.
- Pigment stones are darker in color and smaller in size. They are formed by accumulation of bilirubin.
Types of Gallbladder Surgery
- Once the ultrasound or the Gallbladder scan confirms the presence of gallstones your doctor counsels you about the surgical methods.
- As per your body weight, anatomical structure and previous surgical experiences, the type of surgery that will suit your condition is determined.
- The two types of surgical options available for treatment of gallstone are as follows.
- Open Gallbladder (Cholecystectomy) surgery
- Laparoscopic Gallbladder (Cholecystectomy) surgery
Open Gallbladder (Cholecystectomy) surgery
What it is?
- This process is performed under general anesthesia.
- A large incision is made and then the surgeon operated through the layers making it possible to take out the Gallbladder.
- Once the Gallbladder is separated from the cystic duct, the duct is closed.
- The gallbladder is then separated from any tissue that keeps it attached to the liver or any other body part.
- Once the Gallbladder is removed, the incision is stitched.
Benefits of Traditional (open) Gallbladder surgery
- This surgical option is ideal for people who have abnormal anatomy.
- It is also ideally suited for people who are overweight.
- Open surgery is also preferred in cases of complication or failure of other surgical processes.
Disadvantages of Traditional (open) Gallbladder surgery
- Takes long to heal
- Pre-op rest time is also high.
- Leaves scars and marks on the operated area.
Laparoscopic Gallbladder Surgery
What it is?
- Patient is operated under general anesthesia.
- Breathing support is also used.
- When ready, the surgeon makes few tiny incisions in the abdomen and inserts surgical instruments and a miniature telescope with a mounted video camera into the abdomen.
- The camera sends a magnified image from inside the body to a video monitor, giving the surgeon a close-up view of the organs and tissues.
- While watching the monitor, the surgeon uses the instruments to carefully separate the gallbladder from the liver, ducts and vessels.
- The gallbladder is then removed through one of the small incisions.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Gallbladder Surgery
- Abdominal muscles are not cut during Laparoscopic surgery thus patients have less pain and fewer wound complications.
- The recovery time is low.
- Pre-op stay in the hospital is not more than one day.
- No or least surgical scars.
Disadvantages of Laparoscopic Gallbladder Surgery
- Not much of disadvantages are known for this process.
- However, in case of complications, surgeons choose the process of Open Gallbladder surgery over the process of Laparoscopic Gallbladder Surgery.
Cost of Gallbladder Surgery
Cost of gallstone surgery depends on the procedure that is to be performed for removal of your gallstones and the gallbladder. Further, the cost of the Cholecystectomy surgery heavily depends upon your immediate condition.
To know what possibly could be the cost of Cholecystectomy surgery in your case,