Dr. Pradeep Chowbey
MS, MNAMS, FRCS (London), FIMSA, FAIS, FICS, FACS, FALS, FIAGES
Chairman- Max Institute of Minimal Access, Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
Chairman- Surgery and Allied Surgical Specialities
Executive Vice Chairman- Max Healthcare
- Padmashree Awarded by the President of India
- Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa)
- Honorary Surgeon to The President of India
- Honorary Surgeon to Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS)
- Surgeon to His Holiness Dalai Lama
DMC Regd. No. : 11827
- Hepatobiliary Surgery
- Upper GI Endoscopic Surgery
- Laparoscopic Appedicectomy and Bowel resection
- Hernia Surgery
- Anorectal surgery (Division Minimally Invasive Proctology)
- Laparoscopic Solid Organ Surgery
- Endoscopic Neck Surgery
- Hand-assisted Endoscopic Surgery
- Thoracoscopic Surgery (Decortications, Lung-nodule excision, Thymectomy)
- Bariatric (Obesity) Surgery’s (Surgery for Morbid Obesity Surgery)
- Piles/Hemorrhoids Surgery
Why Dr. Pradeep Chowbey is unanimously considered the best?
Dr. Pradeep Chowbey is one of the best Laparoscopic surgeons of India and among the best few Bariatric surgeons of the world. He is highly qualified as a surgeon and throughout his career he has continuously honed his surgical skills. Highly eminent personalities like former President of India, K. R. Narayanan and His Holiness Dalai Lama preferred Dr. Chowbey for their surgical needs.
Dr. Chowbey other than being and acclaimed as the best Bariatric surgeon and Minimal Access Surgery expert is also a philanthropist. He has successfully initiated and nurtured various social initiatives with an aim to induce awareness among people about general health and medical problems. “Enlighten” – A support group for diabetic and obese patient is one of the latest examples of his social initiatives. He also likes to stroke colors on the canvas and his passion for art reflects now and then through his various initiatives in the field of painting and art.
- Dr. Chowbey has successfully performed more than 70,000 surgeries till date.
- List of people operated by him includes various eminent personalities. Some of them are as follows.
His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Dr. K. R. Narayanan
Mr. Devisingh Sekhawat
Dr. Akhilesh Das Gupta
Mr. Rakesh Mehta IAS
The contributions of Dr. Pradeep Chowbey in the field of Bariatric and Laparoscopic surgery have been unequivocally praised and the initiatives bought in by him have been accepted as the standard procedure. Further, his contributions in the field have also been duly awarded. Few acclaimed awards to Dr. Chowbey’s credit are as follows:
The list of achievements and positions that have been awarded to Dr. Pradeep Chowbey showcases the quality of surgical skills and experience, have been the main apex throughout his continued contribution towards the field of Medicine. He has achieved top notch positions and recognitions that exist in the field of Bariatric and Laparoscopic surgery. Some of the achievements are as follows:
- President – Asia Pacific Metabolic & Bariatric (Obesity) Surgery Society (APMBSS) Oct. 2010
- Chief – Surgery& Allied Specialties, Max Healthcare, New Delhi Nov 2009
- President – Asia Pacific Hernia Society (APHS) Sept. 2004
- Founder Member – Asia Pacific Bariatric (Obesity) Surgery Group Oct-04
Dr. Chowbey through his dedicated efforts and continually progressive approach towards elevating the standards of Bariatric, Laparoscopic and General Surgery has earned several noteworthy accreditations and affiliations. Some of the accreditations and affiliations earned by Dr. Chowbey are as follows:
Dr. Pradeep Chowbey is the first surgeon in Asia-Pacific region to perform MAFT
Dr. Pardeep Chowbey is the first surgeon in Asia-Pacific region to use the SPIDER technology for Bariatric (Obesity) Surgery
- First Honorary Endoscopic & Laparoscopic Surgeon to the President of India, 2000
- First Honorary Consultant in Laparoscopic surgery to Armed Forces Medical Services of India(AFMC), 2000
- The first person to perform Laparoscopic cholecystectomy in Sri Lanka in 1993
- The first to perform simultaneous Laparoscopic splenectomy on a patient scheduled for renal transplant with ITP
The most striking feature of the medical career of Dr. Chowbey could undoubtedly be highlighted as the hundreds of initiatives that he took to better the surgical procedures followed in the field of bariatric and Laparoscopic surgery. He also has to his credit social initiatives that invariably targeted problems related to obesity, diabetes and general health. He has also been instrumental in thrusting initiatives in the field of art and painting. Some of his worth mentioning initiatives are as follows.
- Dr. Chowbey’s efforts fructified with The Division of Minimally Invasive Proctology (MIP), First Division in Asia-Pacific region that was launched on 25th June 2011 under Max Institute of Minimal Access, Metabolic & Bariatric (Obesity) Surgery at Max Super Speciality Hospital.
- He has conducted and actively participated in more than 700 national and international workshops on basic and advanced Laparoscopic bariatric procedures.
- Enlighten – a Support Group for Diabetic and Obese patients by Delhi Daredevils Team & Dr. Pradeep Chowbey
- He has Conducted and actively participated in more than 500 national and international workshops and prestigious conferences including World congresses, Asia Pacific Conferences and SAARC countries conferences.
- Invited by various prestigious Organizations & Foundations in the country / abroad to delivered many orations, key- note addresses and guest lectures.
Trained in the following Institutions
- Tata Memorial Cancer Hospital, Bombay – “Gastroenterological Surgery” with Dr. P.B. Desai.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer hospital, New York, USA – Hepatobiliary Malignancy and Breast Diseases.
- Royal Marsden Cancer Hospital London, U.K. – Hepatobiliary Malignancy and Breast Diseases.
- Singapore General Hospital, Singapore – “Laparoscopic Surgery” with Prof. Mohan Chellappa.
- University Hospital, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia – “Laparoscopic Surgery”.
- Siloah Hospital, Hannover, Germany – “Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery” with Prof. Ludwig.
- John Hopkins Institute, Baltimore, USA – “Advanced Minimal Invasive Surgery”
- Cleveland Clinic, Ohio – “Gastric Bypass” with Dr. Philip Schauer
- Monarch University, Geelong, Australia – “Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgeries” with Dr. Paul Obrien
- Mount Sinai Medical Centre, Miami Beach, Florida – “Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgeries” with Dr. Michel Gagner.
Dr. Pradeep Chowbey has extensively researched and written on topics covering the vast field of Bariatric, Minimal Access Surgery and general surgery. He has also edited several medical books and journals. He has been guest author and guest editor of several renowned publications both national and international. He has also written important chapters of various books on surgery. Some of his important published works are as follows:
- Dr. Chowbey edited / authored a text book “Endoscopic Repair of Abdominal Wall Hernias” that crystallizes the enormous experience of a team of minimal access surgeons who are leaders in the field of Laparoscopic hernia repair. He also edited / authored a Monograph titled “Mechanism of mishaps and risk reduction strategies” exclusively focused on “Safety Measures”.
- He is a Guest Editor of “Advanced Laparoscopic Gastrointestinal Surgery” Book which is the first series of books of “Clinical Surgical Gastroenterology and Liver Transplantation”, modeled on Surgical Clinics of North America, and published by Elsevier.