Dr. Pradeep Chowbey
MS, MNAMS, FRCS (London), FIMSA, FAIS, FICS, FACS, FIAGES, FALS
Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa)
Padamashri Awarded by President of India
- Padmashree Awarded by the President of India
- Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa)
- Honorary Surgeon to The President of India
- Honorary Surgeon to Armed Forces Medical Services (AFMS)
- Surgeon to His Holiness Dalai Lama
Chairman- Max Institute of Minimal Access, Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
Chairman- Surgery and Allied Surgical Specialities
Executive Vice Chairman- Max Healthcare
e-mail : email@example.com
Esteemed positions held
- Founder President - Asia Pacific Hernia Society (APHS) (2004)
- President - Asia Pacific Hernia Society (APHS) (2004- 2009)
- President - Asia Pacific Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Society (APMBSS) (2010-12)
- President - Asia Pacific Chapter of International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO) (2011-13)
- Worldwide President - International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO) (2012-13)
- President - Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India (OSSI) (2006-10)
- Trustee & Past President - Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo-Surgeons (IAGES)
Dr. Pradeep Chowbey belongs to the cadre of the pioneer laparoscopic surgeons in India. He has graphed his career with singular determination to develop, evaluate and propagate Minimal Access, Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery in India. The advent of Laparoscopic surgery with his hands became a point in India's medical history.
Dr. Chowbey established the Minimal Access and Bariatric Surgery Centre, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi in 1996, which was the first of its kind in the Asian subcontinent. At present, he is the Chairman, Max Institute of Minimal Access, Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery, Max Hospital Saket, Delhi.
- Dr Chowbey has pioneered, introduced and nurtured most of the advances in minimal access surgery in India. He has been instrumental in training and teaching surgeons with these advanced skills to popularize the minimally invasive surgery techniques.
- He has been representing India in various national and international scientific forums since more than three decades.
- He was the first to perform MAFT (Minimally Invasive Fistula Technology) in Asia Pacific Region.
- Dr Chowbey has been instrumental in devising the technology of surgical instruments and accessories used for
- MAFT (Minimally Invasive Fistula Technology) surgery
- Single-Port Laparoscopic minimal access surgery
- Hand port surgery
- Laparoscopic vascular surgery including the vascular grafts
- He adopted and popularized method of performing Endoscopic Hernia Repair (TEP) that is well accepted globally and is gaining popularity.
- He also pioneered a novel endoscopic approach for thyroid and parathyroid and popularized the concept of “scarless neck surgery”.
In view of his significant contributions in the field of minimal access surgery, he has been felicitated with several honorary memberships by prestigious international and national surgery societies
- Honorary membership of the Society of Bariatric & Metabolic surgeons of Kazakhstan (2018)
- First honorary membership of the International Endohernia Society (IEHS) (2017)
- Honorary membership of the United Arab Emirates Surgery Society
- Honorary membership of American Society of Metabolic & Bariatric Surgeons (2016)
- Honorary membership of Japanese Society of Endoscopic Surgeons in Osaka, Japan (2015)
- Honorary membership of Egyptian Society for Bariatric Surgery (2014)
- Honorary Membership of German Hernia Society at Oldenburg, Germany (2011)
- Honorary membership of Indonesian Hernia Society at Bali, Indonesia (2009)
- Gulf Cooperation Council Hernia Society (National Chapter of Asia Pacific Hernia Society), Dubai (2010)
- Honorary membership of the Indonesian Society of Endo Lap Surgeons (ISES),
- Honorary membership of Association of Minimal Access surgeons of India.
His Biography has been published in the Obesity Surgery Journal (the official journal of International Federation of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders) in April 2016.
Guidelines and Recommendations
- Dr Chowbey formulated the Minimal Access Surgery - Guidelines and Recommendations that were released by the Hon'ble President of India Dr KR Narayanan at Rashtrapati Bhavan in July 2002. Dr Chowbey is currently chairing the revision update of the Minimal Access Surgery Guidelines and recommendations which will be released soon.
- Dr Chowbey played a pivotal role as a steering committee member with world acclaimed core group of herniologists who together formulated the Worldwide Guidelines and Recommendations published in the Surgical Endoscopy journal (Published by Springer)-
- “Guidelines for laparoscopic (TAPP) and endoscopic (TEP) treatment of Inguinal Hernia (International Endohernia Society (IEHS)- Part I” in 2012
- “Guidelines for laparoscopic (TAPP) and endoscopic (TEP) treatment of Inguinal Hernia (International Endohernia Society (IEHS)- Part II” in 2014
- “Guidelines for laparoscopic (TAPP) and endoscopic (TEP) treatment of Inguinal Hernia (International Endohernia Society (IEHS)- Part III” in 2014
- He was a steering committee member with world acclaimed core group of herniologists who together formulated the Worldwide Guidelines and Recommendations published in the Surgical Endoscopy journal (Published by Springer)-
- “Guidelines for laparoscopic treatment of ventral and incisional abdominal wall hernias (International Endohernia Society (IEHS)- Part I” in 2013
- “Guidelines for laparoscopic treatment of ventral and incisional abdominal wall hernias (International Endohernia Society (IEHS)- Part II” in 2013
- “Guidelines for laparoscopic treatment of ventral and incisional abdominal wall hernias (International Endohernia Society (IEHS)- Part III” in 2013
- He also formulated the “Worldwide Guidelines for Groin hernia management” in 2016, Holland.
- He is a steering committee member currently working on formulating Worldwide HerniaSurge Guidelines.
- He with other experts formulated guidelines for Metabolic & Obesity (MOSI) surgery in Nov. 2008 and December 2010.
Dr Chowbey is the ‘Editor’ for following textbooks
- “Laparo-endoscopic Hernia Surgery- Evidence based clinical practice” (2018) , Published by Springer, Germany
- “Surgical Repair of abdominal wall hernias (2012)”, Published by Byword Publishers,India
- “Hand-Book of Bariatric Surgery(2012)”, Published by Elsevier, India
- “Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy – A comprehensive atlas”,
- “Video-assisted Fistula Treatment (2013)” published by Endo-Press, Tuttlingen, Germany
- “Single-Port Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy using X-Cone and reusable Hand Instruments (2012)” published by Endo-Press, Tuttlingen,
- "Endoscopic Repair of Abdominal Wall Hernias" (1st in 2004 & 2nd Ed. in 2012). Published by Byword Publishers,India
- “Achieving excellence in Abdominal wall Hernia surgery” published by Endo-Press, Tuttlingen,
Dr Chowbey holds the following prestigious positions
- Editor-in-Chief- “Journal of Minimal Access Surgery”- official publication of Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo-Surgeons
- Section Editor of Ventral/ Incisional Hernia surgery- “Hernia” The World Journal of Hernia and Abdominal Wall Surgery
- Reviewer- “Obesity Surgery”- The Journal of Metabolic Surgery and Allied Care
He has authored 200 original scientific papers in international and national indexed journals and contributed chapters for various Text / Reference books including the prestigious publications like Springer, Jaypee, Elsevier. He is the Editor of various textbooks nationally and internationally.
Contributed following Chapters in national and international textbooks
- Chapter ‘Parietal Disaster’ in textbook “The Art of Hernia Surgery- A step by step guide” (2018), published by Springer, Switzerland.
- Four chapters- ‘Technique Total extraperitoneal patch plasty (TEP) Standard technique and specific risks’ , ‘Technique TEP: Complications, prevention, education and preferences’, ‘Complex ventral and incisional ‘, ‘Complex Hiatal hernias’, in textbook Laparo-endoscopic Hernia Surgery- Evidence based clinical practice” (2018) , published by Springer, Germany.
- Two chapters- ‘Laparoscopic Roux en Y Gastric Bypass’, ‘Revision Bariatric Surgery’ in textbook, 4th Edition “Comprehensive Laparoscopic Surgery” textbook by the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons, (2018) , published by Academic publishers, India.
- Chapter on ‘The Tsunami of obesity: Best practices to curb the menace’ in Best practices in Medicine, Volume 1, Cardio-diabetolgy, Published by Jaypee, India 2018
- Chapter- ‘Laparoscopic Roux- en- Y Hepaticojejunostomy’ in International Atlas of Laparoscopic Hepat-Pancreato-Biliary Surgery- “Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Hepaticojejunostomy”(2015), published by Cine Med Publishers, United States.
- Chapter ‘Laparoscopic Interventions for Benign Conditions at the Lower Esophagus’. Ed. Pradeep Chowbey. ECAB Clinical Update: Surgical Gastroenterology and Liver Transplantation. Pub Elsevier, New Delhi 2011.
- Chapter ‘Surgical Therapies in Management of Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome’ in textbook Recent Advances in metabolic Syndrome II. Pub Elsevier,New Delhi 2011.
- Chapter ‘Obesity – Indian Perspective and scope of Metabolic / Bariatric Surgery’ in textbook Essentials of Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery. Compiled by ILS Hospital, Kolkatta 2010.
- Chapter ‘Reoperative Bariatric Surgeries’ in textbook Essentials of Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery. Compiled by ILS Hospital, Kolkatta 2010
- Chapter ‘In Support of Standard Procedure in Hiatal Hernia Repair’ in textbook HERNIA REPAIR SEQUELAE. Pub Springer-Verlag Berlin. 2010
- Chapter ‘Laparoscopic Management of Large Hiatus Hernia’ in textbook Recent Advances in Surgery. Pub Jaypee. Volume 12, 2009.
- Chapter ‘Bariatric Surgery – Surgical management of morbid obesity’ in textbook OBESITY – A multidimensional approach to contemporary global issue. Publisher Dhanraj Book House, New Delhi. 2009
- Chapter ‘Metabolic Syndrome – Surgical Management.’ Ed. Munjal YP. Postgraduate Medicine (Emergency Medicine – Emerging Discipline). Volume XXII, 2008
- Chapter ‘GERD and Hiatus Hernia’ . Dr. Sanjiv Haribhakti. Clinical G.I. Surgery. Volume I, 2008
- Chapter ‘Recurrent Hernia- Prevention and treatment’. Ed. V Schumpelick , R.J. Fitzgibbons. Pub Springer 2007
- Chapter ‘Bariatric Surgery - Importance in Obesity management’ Ed. Munjal YP. Postgraduate Medicine (Recent Advances in Medicine). Volume XXI, February 2007
- Chapter ‘Laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair - TEP technique’. Ed. Ajay Kriplani, Parveen Bhatia, Arun Prasad, Deepak Govil, H P Garg. Comprehensive Laparoscopic Surgery (Indian Association of Gastro Intestinal Endo Surgeons-IAGES). 2007
- Chapter ‘Primary Inguinal Hernia: How to create a Recurrence-TEP’. Eds. Volker Schumpelick, Robert J Fitzgibbons. Recurrent Hernia : Prevention and Treatment. Publisher: Springer Medizin Verlag, Heidelberg 2007
- Chapter ‘Hand Instruments in Laparoscopy’. In Laparoscopic Surgery: Instruments & Equipments. Compiled by ILS Multispeciality Clinic, First Edition, 2006.
- Chapter ‘Metabolic Syndrome - Surgical Management’ Ed. Roshan Lall Gupta. Recent Advances in Surgery. Pub: Volume 11, 2006.
- Chapter ‘Laparoscopic Hepatopancreato Biliary Surgery - Future Directions’ Jagannath P ed. Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Surgery-Current Concepts. First edition, New Delhi : B I Churchill Livingstone 2002:
Teaching & Training
Teaching and training has been his passion and an integral part of his career. He began conducting training workshops in 1990 and continues to train surgeons till date in all minimally invasive surgery techniques. His conducts the following training courses:
Essentials of Laparoscopic Surgery
- Diploma (3 months)
- Fellowship (1 month)
- Observership (1 - 2 weeks)
Endoscopic Hernia Surgery
Center of Excellence
His Institute at Max Healthcare is the First Centre to receive the
- Center of excellence accreditation in India for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery by Surgical review Corporation, USA (2010).,
- Center of excellence accreditation in Hernia surgery by Surgical review Corporation, USA (2014).
The center is also recognized and acknowledged as a Global Centre of Excellence in the field of Endosurgery.
Dr Chowbey has had the honour of operating on His Excellency Shri K R Narayanan former President of India for gall bladder surgery (March 29, 2001), His Holiness Dalai Lama for gall bladder surgery (October 10, 2008).
With over 78000 surgeries to his credit he is featured in the Guinness Book of Records 1997 and Limca Book of Records 2000 – 2018 (consecutive years) as the first Endoscopic surgeon performing most number of minimal access surgeries.
He operated on the World’s heaviest teenager (BMI 92kg/m2) in April 2018.
Honorary Doctorate and Lifetime achievement awards
- Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa Doctorate) by His Excellency Governor of MP and the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Jabalpur, October 2007
- Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa Doctorate) by AMITY University, Noida, UP on 7th December 2013
- Lifetime Achievement award by IAGES in February, 2015 for his significant contributions to Endoscopic surgeries in India,
- Lifetime Achievement award by Human Care Charitable Trust in August 2014,
- Legend during the Lifetime Award by Balkan Ji Bari International September, 2013,
- Bharat Jyoti Award, 2006,
- K C Mahajan Award for Best Academician, January 2006
- Gem of India Award for excellence in field, 2006
- Arch of Excellence (Medicare) Award, 2006
- Rashtriya Rattan Award & Gold Medal for Medical Excellence, December 2005,
- Indira Gandhi Priyadarshini Award for excellence work in the laparoscopy field, November 2005,
- Dhanvantari Award for Excellence in Health Care, November 2005,
- Awarded IMAGES Masters Virk Award – 2005 by Virk Hospital Centre for Human Reproduction, for pioneering efforts in the field of Endoscopic Surgery
- Ratna award in Laparoscopic Surgery by Punjab Government in February, 2000,
- Awarded Gold Medal by Indian Medical Association as “Young Investigator of India 95”.
- Arya award for most compassionate doctor in 1977.
Dr. Pradeep Chowbey, away from the work, loves spending time in the company of artist friends and people from the art & literary circles of the country. He is passionate about art which is clearly reflected by his collection of works of some of the finest artists in the world including M.F. Hussain and S.H. Raza. He is also a pilot and a golfer and believes in living life to the fullest.
Dr. Pradeep Chowbey’s personal attributes of sobriety, humbleness, kindness and amity, coupled with his solid professional competence mark him out as an extraordinary personality.